Sunday, October 7, 2012

Boots for butt kicking

Life these days has changed a lot.  Some good some bad.  

One issue we have? A 13 year old that does not know how to occupy himself and cannot let me repeat cannot get bored or the shit hits the fan.  I completely understand that part.  For some? When you are not busy, your brain starts going and the thoughts it thinks? Not safe.  Not happy.  Not healthy.  We get this is our house and so while we challenge him to occupy himself by giving him lots to do (practice guitar, school work, chores, etc) we have to help him out sometimes.  Let me just say that he is doing WAY better at this than 5 weeks ago.  Still not perfect though!

So? We play games.  Let me just note that Husband? Hates games.  This is a HUGE challenge to him.  To have to play games more than 3 times a year :) I personally? Don't always mind playing.

A few favorites that we play all the time?




This game? Hilarious.  The rules are ridiculous and the entire thing is a little inappropriate for anyone.  That being said? I would recommend it to anyone that like games with reading (lots of details on cards) or who wants to try a completely different game.  Is it silly? Yes.  Does it cause arguments? Yes.  But it is very fun and I am more than willing to let my 13 year old nephew enjoy it.  He is obsessed with it to be honest.  We have already bought 2 expansion packs!! I am thinking more in the future.  Poor Husband.

The other one that we are playing lots of right now is:




What can I say? Amazing game.  Husband and I cannot get enough of this one.  We have the expansion pack which is needed in our opinion.  This is a cooperative game so it is all the players against the game.  You work as a team and choose how hard you want to make it.  It makes you talk, think outside the box and the game is different each time you play it so it is always a challenge.  I would recommend this game to anyone and everyone we have played it with? Loves it.  And the graphics are beautiful.  Doesn't hurt to have a pretty game board to look at!


We play games daily these days.  And are always willing to try new ones.  Do you have any recommendations? Have you tried either of these?






I know it is Thanksgiving but I am not feeling very thankful this year and so I am not writing about it.  Maybe tomorrow.  Please pray for me.  I am having a hard day.

4 comments:

Darci said...

I enjoy crib, and starfarers. Settlers of catan is also a lot of fun.

Steffie Rae said...

I play a lot of candyland, trouble and x&o's lately but when the company comes out, settlers, ticket to ride, rummikub and trivial pursuit bet you know it are the top contenders. Hubby and I like to play crib and gobblet to switch things up.
Also, parenting is tough. Hang in there. Like everyone else we do the best we can. While most get to "ease" into it you two have jumped right into the deep starting with a teen :) I'm sure all the changes feel extreme but you are doing a good job!

Melissa A. said...

You should check out TableTop if you haven't already. It's a weekly (I think) webshow where Wil Wheaton plays a boardgame with his friends. He's played some awesome games I'd like to try when my girls are older and can play a game without flailing around the room.

http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/

Dawn said...

I also like Settlers but can't get anyone to play it!

Thanks Steffie Rae. The stress level in our house is a little insane right now but we can do it!!!

And Melissa? We need a games weekend sometime. I wonder what the in between place would be between our houses?