Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Budget Purse

Budgeting Sucks.

Can I just say that?

One of my biggest problems with budgeting is the procedure of the whole thing.  

Jars? Suck.  Then you have to plan every time you are going to shop and heaven forbid you have to stop at the store for milk on your way home.  You are now screwed.  You have ruined the system.  You are a failure.  Or at least that is how my brain thinks :)

Envelopes? Suck almost as bad.  The problem? Here in Canada, we have decided that we like to pack 50 lbs of money with us everywhere we go.  When all your one and two dollar bills are big huge coins, it makes things kind of a pain in the butt.  In this country? "Throwing your change in a dish" can amount to a large amount of money end of the week.  Just today? Thought I was out of money to buy groceries due to the fact that the bills were gone.  $26.92 in change.  Yup.  And don't get me on the fact that every time you pull an envelope out of your purse, other papers/business cards/receipts/who knows what comes out with it.  And the envelopes get ruined.  Or they tip out and now you are trying to put it back in the "correct" envelope.  Not my type of system.


What I can figure out? What I spend my money on, how to spend it and cute fabric! I decided there had to be another option.  And so I designed one.

I call it the Budget Purse.


These are my pretty fabrics.  They make me smile.  Thinking I want to make more in different color combos now! Poor Tammy (my amazing cousin who guided me through this process)


My items are: Food, Eating Out, Beauty, Activities.  My allowance goes in another wallet.  The one with my licence and other cards.


The letters were done on a different fabric.  Then ironed on to my pieces.  Then I stitched around them to make them fancy.




Me sewing.



The best of the stitch around that I did!


Stopping for donairs for lunch


Attaching the zippers to the ends.  Don't want my coins falling out!



Me and the Fabulous Tammy.  She is an amazing sewing genius who lets me buy her skills with food and love.



Outside piece.  We put plastic in the outside parts to keep it somewhat stiff.  The loop? Her daughters hair tie that was lying around.  Watch your crap kids! I will include it in my genius ideas!!!!


The finished product.


From the outside.


I hand stitched this bad boy! Please understand my lack of skills when it comes to this sort of stuff.


The finished product.  Stuffed with money and love.  Squashing the envelopes.

So, what do you think? Do you budget? Do you have a system that works for you???

No comments: