Friday, February 25, 2011

Today

I did it!


I actually did all 30 days! That was actually kind of fun.


So for something totally different, I am going to post something that was given to me a long time ago.


I was reading this the other day and thought....wow.  More people need to have access to this. So here goes!






A Bill of Assertive Rights

  1. You have the right to judge your own behavior, thoughts, and emotions, and to take the responsibility for their initiation and consequences upon yourself.
  2. You have the right to offer no reasons or excuses for justifying your behavior.
  3. You have the right to judge if you are responsible for finding solutions to other people's problems.
  4. You have the right to change your mind.
  5. You have the right to make mistakes-and to be responsible for them.
  6. You have the right to say "I don't know".
  7. You have the right to be independent of the goodwill of others before coping with them.
  8. You have the right to be illogical in making decisions.
  9. You have the right to say, "I don't understand".
  10. You have the right to say, "I don't care".
YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAY NO, WITHOUT FEELING GUILTY!




Can you imagine what life would be like if we actually did these things? I was in counselling at the time (yes, I have paid a ridiculous amount of money to Physciatrists in the past to help me deal with my life and am proud of it!) and she gave me this.  I was dealing with boundaries, or the lack of them, and with the guilt of saying no or yes or I don't know and this helped a lot.  It is true! We need to take ownership of our mistakes but not others.  We have a right to judge but only if it is our responsibility. WOW.  Think of that one for a minute.  How about number 5? How many times have I felt so incredibly guilty for a mistake I made?

I have this hanging in my office and look at it often.  If you want it? PRINT IT OFF! 

Can I just say, my personal favorite is #10? Love it.

No comments: