Thursday, October 13, 2011

Home sweet home

Shopping.

I never thought I would say that I didn't enjoy it but wow.

Last week was exhausting!

My dad just bought his first new home since my mom died.  He has been living in a 5th wheel for the last 1 1/2 years and now is in a home.  On an acreage.  It is amazing and wonderful.  It is so nice to be able to just go visit Dad now and to have somewhere to stay and be comfortable.  We always felt like we were an inconvenience to people before.

Back the the exhaustion.  The house (trailer) came fully furnished.  She was a 90 year old woman.  And a smoker.  Dad is neither.  So, when I got there? It took us 6 hours to clean it out.  I am talking bathmats to dishes to pictures on walls.  Toothpicks and salt and pepper in the kitchen.  Old bowling trophies.  It was nuts! And stinky! That was Tuesday night.  After a really long day of driving.
It felt kinda like this! Not near as bad, but still nasty!

Wednesday-the list was made and we shopped.  The list included:

  • new spare bed
  • bedding for both beds
From Quilts Etc.  Did not add the purple though!

  • curtains for all windows
  • new shower curtain
  • bathmats
  • coffee maker

  • cookie sheets (I had to bake a cake and desserts that weekend)
  • all kinds of kitchen gadgets
  • dining room table and 6 chairs
  • 2 new bookshelves and one for towels in the bathroom
  • couch

  • love seat
  • end tables
  • coffee table
  • lamps for everywhere
  • food to feed 8 people for the weekend and company 2 times
  • and more!
We did it though! We came home that night all shopped out and proceeded to unload a whole heck of a lot of stuff.

Thursday-SET UP DAY!!! I stayed up till midnight the night before building shelves and hanging curtains.  All day Thursday, we set up everything and waited for furniture deliveries.

Friday-continuation of set up and wait for family to arrive.  The fun part? Dad is useless at hosting! And so I was put in charge.  Cooking, cleaning, setting things up! Yeah for my sister who I put to work when she came.

Saturday-hang out, big dinner

Sunday-family stuff and big dinner

Monday-start the trek home! I am not sure how I made it.  I was so incredibly tired.  

Husband has worked non stop lately so he took yesterday and today off work.  It has been awesome! We watched TV, ate, shopped and just hung out.  It has been good.  I am back at work and back to life tomorrow.  Lots to think about and stress about.  Should be an interesting week! I am glad that it is almost the weekend though.  Will be nice to be home for a weekend and to get some house work done.  Starting to feel messy again!

What did you do for Thanksgiving?

My list of thanks this year:
  • Husbands amazing job.  He is loving it and happy.
  • Right now we are both healthy.
  • Business is still going.  Not amazing but I am working on that!
  • Have learned a lot.  About myself and others.  Some good some bad but did learn stuff!
  • I am finally losing some weight!!! You think this would be #1  :)
  • A house that is starting to feel like home.  Can't wait to set up Christmas decorations!
  • A puppy that is so attached to me it is crazy! She makes me happy!
  • I think I found a church.  One that could be good for me.  I will let you know!
  • An amazing marriage.  Through all the trials and stress that we have had, we are happy.  We drive each other insane, laugh daily, trust each other completely, and just truly have a good time
  • Family and friends.  Pad answer but true.  Have made some new friends this year, strengthened old friendships, and kept in touch with others that have been out of touch forever!

No comments: