Monday, June 18, 2012

Oh Grandpa....

I am doing better today.  I took the weekend to deal with some crap and now I am feeling better.

Not sure what I am talking about? My grandpa (the one whom I love dearly) is dying.  Wow.  That is hard to type.  He has cancer.  We knew this last year but it has progressed to the point where he will not be here much longer.  Last I heart they are hoping he will make it to Christmas.  I am almost more worried about my grandma.  She is quite sick with heart problems and is very fragile.  I am afraid that watching her husband die is going to be too much for her.

What I love and will miss about him?

  • he is feisty.  Even at 82.  
  • he loves to argue with me
  • he truly loves people...most people
  • he has supported us grandkids unconditionally our entire lives
  • he loves my grandma
  • his crazy hair that sticks out everywhere
  • his odd habit of eating creamy cucumber dressing off his plate with his fork
  • his ugly drinking glass and the lecture I get on drinking water every time he uses it
  • his smile
  • his laugh
  • his ill fitting jogging pants he wears all the time
  • his big hands
  • his brain.  He still quotes poems from his childhood
  • his eyes.  They sparkle when he argues
  • his faith

Most of his family.  He has 5 daughters, 3 sons in law, 11 grandkids and 10 great grandkids.



He is a pretty cool guy.  I am heading down there to see him and grandma in a few weeks for their 60th anniversary and I am going to try to get back there again in August.  I might make monthly visits this year.  I will make the time for it.  I will bite my tongue when it comes to family drama and I will just be there.

No comments: