Monday, April 18, 2011

Roller derby, flowers and the Duke

What every woman needs.


Last December, I went to a small Mennonite church that my cousin pastors for a Christmas banquet.  I sat at a table with his wife and another pastors wife from another church.  OK.  So there were other people there too, but I had so much fun with these two ladies, that I kinda didn't care about anyone else! To be honest :)

We started talking and decided that we should get together again soon.  We set a date.  Two weeks from then, they would leave their combined 7 kids at home with dads and come into the big bad city (they live 45 minutes away) and we would hang out for a few hours.  A few hours turned into a whole day and "Girls Day" was officially launched.

We now do this monthly.  You read that right.  One day out of every month, they come into town and we hang out.  I love to spoil them rotten when they come so we tend to have a really good time.

We have:

  • gone fabric shopping (that was a laugh and a half!)
  • butterdome craft sales
  • appetizer meals at many different restaurants
  • hair appointments
  • make over days
  • clothes shopping
  • movies
  • roller derby games
  • Muttart Conservatory
  • gourmet desserts at a bakery in town where I ate a Duke
  • Starbucks (the start of every time!)
  • cooking in my kitchen
  • sitting on my couch laughing and talking
  • serious times
  • farmers markets
  • not so serious times
  • just enjoyed ourselves 

I am loving it.  They are usually about 12 hours long so we can fit in a lot of stuff! The husbands don't seem to mind.  We are forming a bond.  We are creating time for us.  It is amazing.  We started slow, and have just not slowed down! We have people asking to join us, but other than special circumstances, we are just the three of us.  We are a little clique that doesn't want to share! We work.

We don't talk kids, that much as I don't have any to talk about! We don't talk work.  We don't complain about our husbands.  We have gotten to the point where we are planning two months in advance! It was funny.  After the first one, we had had so much fun that we decided to try again.  We took almost a month to finally initiate it and when we did? We didn't stop.

Next month? Potluck lunch at my house.  Painting pottery at a little place in town.  Spoil each other with compliments and love.  Possibly a movie to end the night.  Maybe a little walk down Whyte Ave just because.  And probably the fabric store.  We have a sewing queen in our group and loves fabric.  The other two? We just laugh and try to get her to buy ugly stuff.  We also buy fabric sometimes and then never use it.  That reminds me, I have a quilt that needs to be made one day!

I am realizing more and more as the months go by, that I wait impatiently for the next day to come.  It is a safe day.  We don't have to do anything amazing, we don't even have to spend money.  We just get to be.  They get a day away from life and kids and I just get a day to be me.

Do you get this? We figure we are the odd ones out.  Most women get an afternoon or a coffee and we get a whole day.  I will let you know how they go! We have a guest with us next month.  We approved it as a group.  We are too funny.  But, if you are ever in town? Let me know.  I will ask them to approve you too.

No comments: