Wednesday, December 14, 2011

It is coming.... are you ready????

You know.  That C word.  That thing that pops up every year and for some reason surprises people each time? That thing we learn about in preschool? That thing we are annoyed with in stores way too early? That thing that everyone who thinks they are someone makes a music CD of? ( a whole nother rant for another post) Have you figured it out yet?????

Christmas.

Wow.  I know I had you going there.  I do fairly well with this holiday.  Other than being annoyed at other people and their lack of organization ( ahem.....family) I do good.  This year I am ready WAAY far in advance.  The tree is up, the presents are bought and delivered, the cards? Well, they are not happening this year.  I am taking a sabbatical from cards.  Next year? Be prepared for the most amazing cards ever!!!! I even have the meals all planned and the majority of groceries bought! Telling you.  I am on it!

The one thing I suck at?

BAKING! For some reason, this time of year makes people think they need dessert.  Cookies and cakes and squares and all these things.  You see? I am not a dessert eater.  Therefore I am not a dessert maker for the most part.  Every once in awhile I go through phases where I bake lots.  I am not in one right now.  Maybe I just need a cuter cookie jar? That could be it.  The solution to my problem.  Oh Husband? Buy me a cute cookie jar!!! We will see how that goes.  Guessing? Not so well.  I will keep you posted.

Anyways.  I am having Christmas at my house this year.  Was supposed to be three of us.  Husband me and the dog.  Now? There are in laws (7) followed up (maybe overlapping) by my family (4) plus us and probably someone else I have invited yet forgotten about.

So I have to bake.  I am doing a cookie baking/exchange with my amazing cousin Tammy next Monday and decided to get ahead in this whole project and make something last night.

Bear with me.  The pictures? Horrible.  Husband took them with my phone in nasty lighting.  I am sorry.  No really.  I am.

This is what I made!


Melt a whole lotta cubes of semi sweet chocolate in a beautiful bowl

Melt some butter with it!

Add marshmallows and almonds

Recipe from my Grandma

Start mixing

Realize your bowl is WAY too small and transfer to a monster bowl



Mix it all up

Looks like a kids dream! Chocolate and marshmallow mess!

Take a piece of parchment paper and sprinkle with coconut

Glob it on.  Oh, and I have maintained my weight loss! Just looking rather, um, chunky in these pics

Make funny faces for Husband

Sprinkle more chocolate on top and proceed to roll it up!


Decide that you have no idea what you are doing and that you are not serving this to anyone!


Huh.

Sprinkle coconut in the bottom of a pan lined with parchment paper and make the rest into squares.

Let Husband lick the bowl.  And all the spoons.  And the beaters.

This? I might serve.



Have you ever made this thing they call Marshmallow Roll? Did it look as sad as mine? I am scared to try it.

Maybe tomorrow!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

You are so funny! Who cares what it looks like it will be fantastic to eat. Chad's Eyes were rolling back in delight over his menagerie of things to lick clean. Glad to know I'm not the only one who hates baking though!

Jill said...

You are too cute! I've been trying to bake also and I can't seem to get past picking the recipe and getting the ingredients. It just feels like too much work. Oh well. Oh and I get to meet Debbie tomorrow! Should be cool.

Steffie Rae said...

Ha ha ha Love the little boy waiting to lick the spoon (and everything else) when you're done! I haven't had that dessert in so long! I have 2 more things to make and I am DONE. I ususally only make 1 batch of 3 husband requested goodies but this year we have guests so I've made a couple more things.

Melissa A. said...

We're headed to the in-laws so I won't be making anything. I always have trouble baking anything, because then I have to eat it, right? And I really don't want to eat it, or so much of it I guess I mean. But I won't be able to resist. Thank God the in-laws got a new treadmill, I'll be putting that to use after the fudge, cookies, dinners. I think you should try the roll. It looks weird, but I bet after it set up and you cut it into cookies..it'd be delicious.

Dawn said...

Tammy- I will bring some to you next week.

Jill-she is lovely! I think you will like her. She giggles a lot when she is nervous. And they are gag worthy together!

Steffie-come to Tammy's on Monday! You can have some!

Jibberblog-I WISH! I don't mind most of it, but there is too much drama with some people so this year could be interesting! Merry Christmas!

Darci said...

I think I will have to try and make these! Lately I'm drawn to any recipe with only a few simple ingredients.