Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cake for dinner...

and cake for dessert!

I have to show you what I made on Sunday.  I am insane and I know it but how fun is this!!!

Start with a cake recipe big enough for three 9 inch cakes

Voila! Bake them!

Take one cake and crumble it up.

Place one cake on cake stand (or plate) add some icing, place second cake on top.  Ice the whole thing.
Make some extra icing, adding yellow food coloring to make it look kinda like pasta!
Have your adorable full or spunk little niece, under the watchful eyes of the neighbor girl, take the crumbled cake and form it into three balls.


Use the yellow icing to make icing noodles on the top of your iced cake.  Be aware.  It will hurt your hand.  Have fun with it!
You now have a plate of spaghetti.  I added some icing gobs to hold down noodles. (or my bag kept springing leaks and they just gobbed in good spots.  I will never tell!)

Take your lumpy meatballs and add them to the top of the cake.

Puree some strawberries and use as spaghetti sauce.  (I added a little red food coloring to make it look better)
Add some grated white chocolate and you now have a spaghetti and meatball cake! It was amazing and tasted so good.  The kids loved it and it actually did not take very long!

I found this recipe in the latest Food Network cooking magazine.



I then checked on a few of the 11 kids hanging around my house that day.  Wow.  Loud and messy! But oh so fun!


 After that? I made dinner.  We had, what else? CAKE!!!! AGAIN!!!!!

Flower decorations.
Bake two 9 inch pan meat loafs, make mashed potatoes and dye them whatever color you want.  Layer and ice like a cake!
Decorate with your veggie decorations


And VOILA! You have more cake! It was awesome! When you cut into it, it was layered like a  regular cake.

I love backwards meals.


This recipe is from Bob Blumer (Surreal Gourmet)'s new cookbook.




3 comments:

joni said...

Dawn!!.. goodness.. super super super cool!!!
i will be trying those out on my unsuspecting family.. hehehe.. i think my boyz will think i fell off some wagon!
(that will be a good post)

Again.. super cool.

joni said...

ps your pictures rocked!!!!

Magnolia said...

This is so yummy. Thank you very much for sharing!