Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday

I suck at headings! Can I just put that out there? I am doing ok today.  Some moments of panic and some moments of pure happiness.  I am pushing forward and am going to enjoy this day.

I am stubborn like that.

I am in the process (with Husband) of re-writing all the manuals for the business we own.  It sucks! I have to admit.  I have everything back from the copywriter right now and am reading through it all to see what other changes need to be made.  Every ten pages, I get to check a blog, or write on here or Facebook.  I also get a jelly belly at that time.  Just one.  I better keep going! Those things are good! As I read this, I am wondering why more of this stuff is not just common sense.  Seriously? Do people not know what good customer service is? Do they not know to work together as a team? So sad.  The truth is? People don't know.  People have not learned these things.  What is the saying?  "common sense isn't very common anymore".  What a sad saying.

On another note, the house of the friends that are moving here has sold! I am so happy for them.  In case you don't know what is going on, I will explain.

Our very good friends are moving very far away from home to live with us.  We are going to live in a communal style way.  Wow.  That sounds creepy :) Not quite like that.  They are a family of 4, we are a family of 2.  We are renting a house together.  Yes we are.  We have two master bedroom suites that will be our own space and the rest will be shared.  I will continue to work out of our home, so I will have an office area.  The kitchen and living room and all the rest will be shared.  We are pitching in for groceries and all the household expenses and rent and such.  It is a fairly large house.  It has 4 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, a den, a bonus room, a study, living room, dining room and kitchen.  It is big enough for us.  It will be 4 adults and a 17 and 18 year old.  We have been joking about it for years and it is just now happening.  We are all quite excited.  We are going to all have roles to a degree.  One female, not me, is going to be the 'Domestic Goddess'.  She will be in charge of the house stuff.  Cooking, cleaning that sort of thing.  We will do our own laundry and I will help her with cooking as well because I love to do it.  We are planning dinner together as much as possible.  There is going to be one 'family' dinner a week in order to talk about what is going on or if there are issues.  We are decorating the whole house together.  A mish mash of all our stuff.

Is this nuts?  Yes.

Is it insane?  Yes.

Is it going to be a weird first 6 months?  Yes.

Is it going to be amazing?  For sure.

We are all quite excited.  We are getting mixed reviews.  We are of course getting the 'what the hell?' and the 'ok.  you guys are kinda weird' and the 'I couldn't do it!'s of the world.  We are also getting a few good responses.  My brother is curious as hell and wants to see if it works.  He thinks it is insane but that it could also be amazing.  Yes, it will save us all money.  Yes, it will be a built in support system to a degree if something happens with Husbands health again.  Yes, we will have friends there all the time.

We know we will need more privacy times.  We have talked about it all.  We are planning date nights! It is actually in the house budget! We get a certain amount a week to date! Our own spouses only.  I know.  So picky.  I have to admit though.  It will be nice to have people around.  Our house is quite quiet with just us and the dog.

So, now that I made us look like freaks on the big ol internet, tell me what you think? Are we crazy? Would you try it? Are you grossed out at this? (there is nothing weird going on sexually, for the record.  We have actually been asked this!) Can you still be friends with us living with roommates?

Feedback please!

3 comments:

Lollie said...

I think it's awesome!! Long ago it was very common to live with ones family. Then we all became independant. With the "times" being as they are I think you guys are ahead of the rest of the Western World. I think this makes sense! :) Plus you are all a bunch of really great, generous and loving people, what could be better!!

Lollie said...

Oh ya I meant to add, even though you're not family;)

melodrama said...

I think it sounds like it could be a great arrangement for you, and I look forward to hearing how it works out! :)