Sunday, April 8, 2012

Leftover amazingness

These are my leftovers.

On drugs.

Got any questions?

(anyone else remember that commercial?)

 
Not sure what to call this, but here are some directions on how to make it!

Mexitalian Lasagne
written by me.

Start with 3 cups of your leftover Haystack sauce.  Add 1 cup chopped chicken, 1 cup chicken broth,    1 1/2 tablespoons pesto, and anything else you want to throw in! I added some salad dressing from the chopped chicken salad! I am telling you.  I was in fridge clean out mode!


Find a beautiful casserole dish to use.  I used this one because it is pretty.  Should have used a more shallow pan! I would recommend a regular 9x13 pan.


In a bowl, combine 3 cups cottage cheese, 1 egg, 1 cup black beans, 1 cup corn, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 tsp chili powder ( I have the spicy chipotle one otherwise I would use a full tablespoon), 1 tsp Johnny's seasoning salt, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, 1 tsp cumin.  Mix it well!



Layer baby layer!!!

I did:

Sauce
Noodles
Cheese mix
Noodles
Sauce
Noodles
Cheese mix
Noodles
Sauce
Noodles
Cheese mix
Noodles
Sauce 
Monteray Jack cheese slices and some parmesan cheese.

Keep in mind that you don't have to make it into this many layers! I did because I wanted to and the pan fit it better this way.

Bake, covered, at 350 for one hour or until noodles are cooked.  Take out of oven sprinkle with chopped up banana peppers (base the amount on the amount of spice you want) and fresh chopped cilantro.  Let site for 15 minutes.  Serve with salad and garlic toast! Or just eat like this!




Because mine was so thick, I could not get it out in pieces so we ate it casserole style.  



Verdict:

Flavor: really good.  Even Husband loved it! I would add more banana peppers to the layers maybe next time.  Would add a little more heat

Pros: cleaned a lot out of my fridge and was something a little different.

Cons: Seriously not easy to make again! I will have to go through the other recipes and write down all those ingredients to add to this recipe in my cookbook.

Would I make it again? Yes.  I definitely would.  I really liked it. I love the pesto with the mexican feel to it.  Tonight we had it for leftovers and we grated 4 pepper cheddar cheese onto it and it just upped the flavour again! And it was better today than yesterday.

So there you have it.   A Dawn original!

P.S. I survived today with a smile on my face and only a small headache! I went to the farmers market and bought amazing goodies, bought a stylus for my iPad, grocery shopped, hung out with Husband once he got home from work, and just enjoyed my day.  

1 comment:

Melissa A. said...

I am about 99% certain that following all your directions, nothing I tried would turn out quite like this. Looks delicious and so brave to throw things together. I definitely do not have that skill...not even close. I burned shake & bake. Sigh.