Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad

This salad was a little like one I make at home all the time! I love mine but the dressing on this one was quite a bit different so I decided to make it for lunch today.

Verdict?

It was good.  It was missing cheese which I love but it made it healthier and was lighter tasting than the one I make!
I would make it again.  I added mushrooms to the recipe because I wanted them.  I also made only half a batch.  I changed it a little here and there because that is what I do.  I am not sure where it is from though. I printed it months ago and just finally got around to making it and had no reference to the origin.  Not very original though so I am not concerned! Thank you to whomever made up this dressing!!


Dressing:

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 TBSP ranch salad dressing mix
1/2 TBSP taco seasoning
salt and pepper to taste


Then in a mixing bowl add:

Lettuce

Chopped up chicken

(I buy a rotisserie chicken once a week and shred it on the first day.  Then I have chicken to use all week.  Especially nice when Husband is gone and I am cooking for myself)

Stop for a sip of coffee

Have I mentioned the greatest coffee ever!!!!!! Even Husband is drinking it.  Amazing...

Chopped mushrooms, red pepper, black beans, corn and cilantro.

Pour on dressing and toss.

Add some crunched up tortilla chips and some diced avocado and lightly toss again




Enjoy! This is a really nice light salad.  Some sweet and some salty.  I did finish this whole bowl because I am a pig.  Yup.  I did.  And enjoyed every last bite! Come on.  It is mainly lettuce!


Today was a pretty good day.  I had one meeting and a list of stuff that I have been putting off all week that I started doing.  Actually? Other than one thing I got it done! All the important stuff is history and that is what matters.
Husband is gone again.  He left Sunday.  I miss him.  It feels like he has been gone forever! He is home though on Sunday night for sure so I will be OK.  Last week with him home was one of the best weeks that we have had in years.  No joke.  We just clicked.  We spent all our time together, did tons of dreaming and celebrating and planning for the future.  I love doing that stuff.
My birthday is next week.  I am old.  This year I am not struggling as much as some years.  I am glad to age this year for some reason.

I should go to bed.  This has been my first week without sleep aids in months and it has been incredibly hard.  I don't naturally fall asleep till around 2 am and then wake up early.  Not a good schedule for a girl that is trying to work all day!

1 comment:

Melissa A. said...

This looks delicious. I wish I was less lazy.