Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Secret to Amazing BBQ Chicken

I grew up in a house of horrible BBQ chicken.

Not to be rude, but my parents were not good at making it.

I either tasted a little raw, or was burned so bad it was nasty.

I think everyone else loved it but me.

A project for once we had a BBQ?

Figure out how to make amazing chicken.

And I have.

I AM THE CHICKEN MASTER!!!!


OK.  Enough conceit.  But seriously? I have the best way to make it that is so easy and will impress anyone!


AMAZING BBQ CHICKEN

Start with some chicken drumsticks.

Scrub your BBQ down so it is clean.

Spray with PAM.  Sounds weird right? Just do it.  Trust me.

Turn on your BBQ.  When it hits 400 degrees, place your chicken on the BBQ.  I am OCD on how I place my chicken and it stays that way the whole time.  You can place yours as you see fit!


Turn down the heat to low so that the temperature sites somewhere between 325 and 350.  Perfect cooking temperature.


Close the lid and relax.  About 10-12 minutes later, flip your chicken.  It will look like this.


Continue to flip every 10 minutes or so until it is fully cooked.  This is the point where most people have already screwed up.  If you add the sauce immediately, you will just burn it (due to the sugar) to the outside of the chicken which is what makes it all black and burned tasting!  Wait till the chicken is almost completely cooked and then follow these steps.


Find an amazing BBQ sauce.  This is our favorite.  Apple Butter from Montana's (the restaurant).  You can buy it there.  I do.  Many times a year.


Baste one side of the chicken.  Then crank the heat to medium.  Close lid and leave it for 2 minutes.  Flip and baste the other side.  Wait two minutes.  Flip and do this again! What happens is the BBQ sauce heats up, starts to caramelize and make an amazing layer on the chicken.  Seriously amazing chicken.


I do this 3 times per side.  You end up with the best chicken.  Ask Husband! 





On a different note, I had a wonderful birthday.  I hung out all day and did some work, watched some tv, went for an amazing dinner and got the best gift! Husband bought me the Keurig Milk Frother/Steamer! I love it! Makes the best drinks.  I can't wait to play with it and make yummy things.  I will let you know what I come up with!


We did have an interesting day today.  Husband had a colonoscopy this morning.  Really early this morning and he did really well.  The doctor said that everything with his Chrohns is doing awesome and his levels are all perfect.  Do you have any idea how huge this is???? I am so happy right now!
I did manage to pull the muscles in my legs bad enough yesterday that I can't walk today.  Ouch.  On my way to have a bath right now! If I can get in and out....




No comments: