Our room view in Waikiki
Where: Hawaii. We went to Oahu and Waikiki
Dad and I climbing a ladder on the USS Missouri tour
When: December for 17 days
Why: Dad lived there and built houses for missionaries 36 years ago and we wanted to take him back to see what he had done there. Also? Beach. Sun. Palm Trees. Ocean.
Who: Oahu-my dad, husband and myself. My brother and sister-in-law joined us for Maui
Hanauma Bay-snorkelling mecca of Oahu
- whale watching
- Ziplining. Amazing.
- snorkelling (for the boys. I don't do it)
- Aloha Restaurant. Cheap meals. Good meals. Could have eaten there every day.
- Hana Highway
- Seeing a concert with Cheech, Chong (in attendence) William Shatner, Mack Fleetwood and his band, Tom Arnold and some other people. So fun. Amazing music.
- Roasted macadamia nut Gelato on Front Street at ONO Gelato
- Plate lunch (hawaiian thing. Rice, mac salad and meat. So tasty!)
- Getting a tan!
- Nude beach. Sooooo funny the people that go there.
- To see what Dad did and hear all the stories.
- Cheesecake Factory cheesecake
- Travelling with people. They were all very quiet and would not voice opinions until they were mad and then they were whispered to other people just loud enough to hear. So mature.
- Waikiki. Was not impressed! I have to admit. I would never go back there. It was too big city and did not have a lot of Mahalo compared to Maui. Felt like Vancouver with palm trees. Also very expensive and you needed a car for almost everything.
- Having to fly at night. I hate leaving at 11:40 pm. Has made for a tiring last week.
- The lack of snorkelling I did. I cannot handle the salt water and so I had a rather boring vacation. There were 5 of us sharing a vehicle and so I did what they did.
- Travelling with people that like to get up early! I like to sleep till 8 or 9. Not get up at 6 or 7. So sad. Not a lot of sleep was had.
- Rain. A lot of rain for a few days + the presidents vacation obsessing a city made for a few annoying quiet days.
Homeless people everywhere. Set up in big tent cities. Very sad.
Changes I would make:
- No Waikiki
- No big restaurants. Just local stuff.
- More tours and local activities
- Just Husband and I :) I miss travelling with just him. It has been a long time.
- Spend more time researching before we go to find the cool stuff and not just the tourist stuff.
Husband, Dad, Brother. Seeing who has the bigger gut. Classy.
Food B for Waikiki and A- for Maui
Location C+ for Waikiki and A for Maui
People C+ for Waikiki and B for Maui
Shopping Both a B
Activities A for both
One of three houses Dad built 36 years ago
Would I go again?
I would go again. I would not go to Oahu. I would pick a different Island and probably and different side in Maui. See something new! I think we will go back at some point in our lives. It is an easy trip. It just won't be for a long time. I have so many places I want to go and so little time to do them in. I can't imagine not seeing more of this world!
Little road side market we went to. Pineapples from heaven!
Black sand beach. It was my goal to see a white, black and red sand
beach and I managed to see all three!
|Beautiful old Catholic Church we drove past|
|Dad (isn't he handsome?) and the famous Mable Todd that he worked for all|
those years ago. She was the sweetest most amazing woman. The stereotypical grandma.
Sexy. Isn't he? I still wonder how he found a wife.
|Maybe he gave her this smile instead :)|
|Crazy cool trees that look painted. Loved them!|
|Husband and I|